2017 NATIONAL AMBASSADOR YOUTH FORUM COORDINATOR
– FRENCH FOR THE FUTURE –
French for the Future is a national, not-for-profit organization committed to supporting the development of tomorrow’s bilingual leaders by encouraging high school students to study and live in French. Our programs, all in French, highlight the social and professional benefits of bilingualism and help create linguistic and cultural links between students of all backgrounds taking French as a first or as a second language across Canada.
THE NATIONAL AMBASSADOR YOUTH FORUM (NAYF)
The NAYF is held every year in a different city, and brings together 25 to 30 bilingual high school students from across Canada for four to five days jam-packed with activities. At the end of the NAYF, participants become ambassadors of French for the Future, and organize activities to promote French and official bilingualism in their communities throughout the following school year. The 2017 NAYF will be held from August 21st to 25th in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.
Before the NAYF:
- Help with the recruitment of the group leaders (write and share the posting on social media, specifically aimed at former ambassadors, and participate in the selection process) and act as liaison between the national office and the selected applicants
- Participate in the promotion of the NAYF during the registration period (social media, word of mouth, etc.)
- Participate in the selection process of ambassadors with the national office (watch, read and evaluate each application, make recommendations on ambassador selection)
- Review and provide input on the Pre-NAYF Guide, which will be sent to the participants by the national office.
- Create content, make postings and lead discussions in the private 2017 NAYF Facebook group (encourage ambassadors to introduce themselves and get to know each other, share articles, music, photos, videos related to bilingualism and the Canadian Francophonie and/or in connection with Charlottetown)
- In close collaboration with the Program Coordinator, develop the programming of the 2017 NAYF:
- Develop a theme and objectives
- Update the content of the workshops for the NAYF, using the workshops developed in previous years and develop new workshops as needed, to ensure that the NAYF remains a quality event, with relevant and interesting activities for young people. In particular, it will be necessary to ensure that workshops follow one another in a coherent way throughout the week, supporting the learning process of ambassadors.
- Participate in the selection and share ideas for the cultural activities aspect of the NAYF programming
- Distribute ambassadors into 4-5 groups, and assign a leader to each group
- If necessary, help find external speakers and contributors for the workshops that will not be directly lead by the group leaders
- Prepare “ice-breakers” and other filler activities to use during unexpected delays in programming
- Provide the national office with content related to the workshops that you would like to see appear in the Ambassador’s Guide (an earlier version will be provided for reference). This guide is used as a reference and working tool for the ambassadors, which they will use throughout the NAYF
- Help develop and take part in a 2-day pre-NAYF training session for the group leaders
During the 2017 NAYF:
- Supervise the group leaders and be responsible, with the national office, for the ambassadors for the duration of the event
- Ensure the smooth execution of the NAYF programming with the assistance of the Program Coordinator
- At the beginning of each workshop, make the link with the previous workshop to highlight the coherence of the programming and how it fits in the overall theme of the NAYF
- Anticipate elements of logistics required for the next workshop or the snack break
- Lead workshops
- Coordinate daily end-of-day debriefings with the group leaders and the Programs Coordinator
- Ensure the safety and well-being of ambassadors
- Help with effective communication between the group leaders and the French for the Future team
After the 2017 NAYF:
- Complete the Coordinator’s Final Report
- High school diploma, and preferably currently enrolled in a postsecondary program in Canada
- Experience in project management and / or experience working with youth (e.g. summer camps)
- Knowledge of the Canadian Francophonie (required) and / or international Francophonie (an asset)
- Strong written and oral communication skills in French and English
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to work legally in Canada
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Remuneration: $ 3,000 honorarium plus travel expenses from the place of residence to Prince Edward Island
- Part-time contract, from February 2017 to August 2017, with the bulk of the work in May and August
- The contract is signed with French for the Future
HOW TO APPLY
By January 16, 2017, send a curriculum vitae and a cover letter, written in French, by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Pier-Nadeige Jutras, Executive Director. Please indicate ” 2017 NAYF Coordinator” in the subject line.
We encourage all qualified people to apply; French for the Future values diversity in the workplace.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.