Prepare to make a connexion!
What is a Franconnexion Session?
Franconnexion Sessions help students connect the French learned in the classroom with the real-life benefits of being bilingual.
A Franconnexion Session is an event that is organized for students in grades 7 to 12 enrolled in any French program (Core, Extended, Immersion, French as a First Language). This one-hour, half-day, or full-day event takes places within a school or school board and gives students the opportunity to participate in workshops and cultural activities centered on the benefits of speaking French.
Why organize a Franconnexion Session?
Teachers, students, French program coordinators, and guidance counsellors alike can build and customize their own unique Franconnexion Session to:
- encourage students to stay in their French courses throughout high school and beyond
- help students see that French is very much alive outside the classroom walls
- motivate students to make French a part of their lives
- provide students with a positive environment in which to practise their French-speaking skills
- re-energize in-class French learning!
How to organize a Franconnexion Session?
Use the following free materials and resources provided to Franconnexion Session organizers:
1. Planning guide :
2. Free Toolkit:
- a step-by-step checklist of how to plan your event
- a list of suggestions of people in the community who can help run a workshop by sharing their stories on how French has enriched their lives
- ready-made letter invitations to invite them
- a pre-designed poster template to help promote your event
- suggestions for the types of workshops that can be incorporated in your event
- a virtual guest speaker: a DVD of the entertaining and inspiring personal story of an anglophone's pathway to bilingualism
- the virtual presentation of a former Core French student on the benefits of learning and speaking French
- Seven Powerpoint trivia games:
- La francophonie (2011-2012 edition), beginner and intermediate/advanced levels
- La francophonie (2012-2013 edition), beginner and intermediate/advanced levels
- Le hockey, beginner and intermediate/advanced levels
- Les expressions françaises, for all levels
- two large posters each with an accompanying video and activity:
- "Why Learn French?"
- "Connais-tu déjà ces mots?" - English words that come from French
- French for the Future's 30 Day-Challenge: 30 fun daily tasks to practise French
- an activity on contractions and shortcuts in the French language
- a promotional video on French for the Future
- an official Franconnexion Session banner to display during your event
- Door prizes for students
Watch this sneak peak of virtual guest speaker Hughie Batherson
Send us your completed registration form to receive the free toolkit for your event!
Questions about Franconnexion Sessions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org