Prepare to make a connexion!
“Why do I have to learn French?” You’ve probably heard your students ask the question a hundred times.
What is missing is a connection! The connection between what they learn in the classroom and the usefulness, the value, and the importance of speaking French outside of a classroom setting. That is why French for the Future created Franconnexion Sessions.
A Franconnexion Session is an event that you arrange and facilitate for your students from grade 7 to 12 who are studying French.
By means of the educational activities that we provide, Franconnexion Sessions help students connect the French learned in the classroom with the real-life benefits of being bilingual. Our educational resources are specifically designed to raise awareness about the advantages (and the pleasure!) of speaking French. The result? Your students are more motivated and engaged in their learning process because they understand the great value of what you are teaching them.
Franconnexion Sessions owe their popularity to the concept’s flexibility: whether you have an hour or a full day for it, whether you want only your class or the entire school to be involved, the choice is yours!
Choose your resources, choose your date, and ask for your Franconnexion Session toolkit now:
Why organize a Franconnexion Session?
Teachers, students, French program coordinators, and guidance counsellors alike can build and customize their own unique Franconnexion Session to:
- encourage students to stay in their French courses throughout high school and beyond
- help students see that French is very much alive outside the classroom walls
- motivate students to make French a part of their lives
- provide students with a positive environment in which to practise their French-speaking skills
- re-energize in-class French learning!
What format to choose?
1 hour, 2 hours, a half-day or a whole day, the choice is yours! Nonetheless, here is what we recommend :
- 1 to 3 hours : this is a good format for a Franconnexion held in a classroom setting! A teacher can organise the event directly in their own classroom, during their regular hours.
Positive side: this will not affect the students schedule, which in return, will require less organisation!
Here is an example of what you can do in 1 hour:
- 1/2 day to full day : this is a perfect format for a big event hosted for the entire school! Organize your Franconnexion with the help of other French teachers, invite exhibitors and speakers, plan workshops, your students will thank you for a memorable day spent speaking French!
Here is an example of what you can do in 1 full day:
Planning a full day event (or half day) ?
Request our guide book to help you plan! Inside you will find:
- a step-by-step checklist of how to plan your event
- a list of suggestions of people in the community who can help run a workshop by sharing their stories on how French has enriched their lives
- ready-made letter invitations to invite them
- a pre-designed poster template to help promote your event
- suggestions for the types of workshops that can be incorporated in your event
Watch this sneak peak of virtual guest speaker Hughie Batherson
And here is a video example of a Franconnexion Session:
The Franconnexion Session held at the Gary Allan High School on December 5th, 2016 gathered more than 250 students in grades 7 to 12. Thank you so much for this beautiful event!
All these activities are examples only and can of course be replaced by any other resource from the Toolkit!
Questions about Franconnexion Sessions? Contact us at email@example.com.